Sunday, September 1, 2013

LEAVING ON A JET PLANE... ONCE AGAIN

I fly out Tuesday morning to go visit my daughter and family.

I sorta like flying - and I sorta hate it.

I honestly do like going to the airport, parking in long-term parking, riding that silly little tram, checking in for my ticket. There's a sense of excitement, of anticipation, that's almost palatable.

Until you get to the security check-in.

Then suddenly I, at least, am looking at every other passenger as a potential terrorist.

Nah, I don't really. But I think a lot of the passengers think that you are viewing them as terrorists. Because the TSA agents are being paid to do just that.

And even though you know that everything in your bag is clear and above boards, all of a sudden you get just a thought - is that shampoo going to pass as 3 oz.? What about that toothpaste? Will the prescription meds you have be allowed, or will they spill out your pills and accuse you of drug smuggling?

I keep forgetting to take my belt off, and having that trigger the alarm when you walk through.

But then everything passes, and you get to frantically gather your opened bags, your shoes and purse as the things get spilled out from the x-ray machine, and keep hold of and track of everything while you are putting your footwear back on.

Then the atmosphere relaxes again, and you're back with the anticipation and excitement of getting on a plane in a little bit.

And THAT part I will comment on tomorrow.

No comments: