Tuesday, September 17, 2013

YES WE HAVE NO BANANAS

I am very sympathetic towards fast-food employees.
I've worked at McDonald's, Wendy's, a local burger joint, and ran a pizza stand.

It's incredibly DIFFICULT to decipher mumbled orders, get the cooks to make the order correct, handle the cash and order while the next people in line are already mad at you for taking so long.

You're not generally working with high quality supplies - and the clock is ticking the instant the customer steps up to the counter or the car pulls up to the speaker.

And these are people who generally have a couple of hours training, have passed a food handler test, and are being paid minimum wage at best.

Maybe that's why I am perhaps overly considerate of giving fast food orders - I make certain I know in advance what I want, and exactly how I want it prepared. I speak slowly and enunciate clearly - my orders are NOT misunderstood.



So today when I paid for a sandwich, and did NOT get the sandwich I ordered, I was sorely tempted to go back and throw it in their faces.

But I didn't - it was edible - I wasn't ridiculously overcharged - and it wasn't all that important.

I ate it - and actually enjoyed it.

No comments: