Friday, December 14, 2012

LOOKING LIKE ROCKY AFTER THE FIGHT

I don't look my best at the present.

A couple of days ago I fell, hit my head on a couple of rocks, so I have five stitches holding the center of my forehead together for a few more days, with two black eyes and various scraps and cuts on other parts of me.

And I must admit I am extremely disappointed in most people's reaction when they see me in public.

I honestly thought I would get a couple of oh-my-god-what-happened-to-you.

I was hoping to get at least one did-someone-do-this-to-you-do-you-feel-safe.

But so far?

Most of my contact is them quickly averting any eye contact and hurrying past me.

It is amusing at least at the hospital (where my husband has been for the past three days with something completely and totally unrelated to my injuries); at least there you can see a glance of wonder-what-happened-and-who-put-in-those-sloppy-stitches.

But mostly it's omg-don't-look-at-her/me/that.

I know our current American culture is severely conflicted with a tendency toward voyeurism (look at all the reality shows) while encouraging isolation (Facebook, social networks, anything so you don't have to go out and actually MEET people).

But come on, people, I might need REAL ACTUAL HELP.

Someone might be physically abusing me, and threatening me to not tell anyone.

I might NOT have gotten any medical help because I don't have any insurance and can't afford it.

I might be frightened and scared and need some assistance.

Wait a minute.

THAT is why people aren't inquiring - it might make them have to do something.

Safer to look past and beyond.

I've seen this quote on the Internet recently:

“Sometimes I would like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. But I’m afraid He would ask me the same question.”

I think I understand this a little bit more now from the other side.

No comments: