Monday, December 17, 2012

HOBBIT EXAMPLE


Martin Freeman had an outstanding line in "The Hobbit", which I watched today for the first time.


When he is challenged, once again, by the Thorin Oakenshield, the dwarf leader, for not being much help on their journey so far, he states (paraphrasing poorly here, I grant freely):


"Yes, I admit gladly I would like to be back at my home, in my comfortable chair, with my books and my garden. But I have a home - and you don't. So I'm going to help you get yours back, if I can."



Brought tears to my eyes.

And I realize this is a true and great example of what we should be.

Recognizing the blessings and prosperity and freedoms we enjoy - and then try to get those same blessings, prosperity and freedoms to those less fortunate.

By giving freely to those in need.

By allowing others the freedom to be who they think they are.

By sharing what we know, how we got as far as we are, and moving together toward even better circumstances.

Without leaving anyone else behind or underneath us, and being able to follow those ahead of us.

I believe the hobbit got it exactly right.

No comments: