Saturday, December 22, 2012

DIRECTIONS

Mental illnesses can do a lot of different ways.

A lot of press about Adam Lanza's diagnosis of autism or Asperger's - what medication he was or was not on - what his mother did or did not do.

A mother in Idaho wrote in her blog about her own son

"I love my son. But he terrifies me," Long wrote. "I am sharing this story because I am Adam Lanza's mother. I am Dylan Klebold's mother and Eric Harris' mother. I am James Holmes' mother. I am Jared Loughner's mother. I am Seun-Hui Cho's mother, " she wrote, rattling off the names behind some of the nation's most notorious mass shootings: Sandy Hook Elementary School; Columbine High School; a crowded movie theater in Aurora, Colorado; a shopping center near Tucson, Arizona; Virginia Tech.

"And these boys -- and their mothers -- need help," she added. "In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it's easy to talk about guns. But it's time to talk about mental illness."

I have a daughter who is far from normal, average or regular. She is right on the border of mentally handicapped vs. learning disabled - but with extremely atypical learning disabilities. I mean, she can't add 2 + 2 without using her fingers, but she understand algebraic concepts. Her reading ability is college, but her writing is at a third grade level. She is legally blind without her glasses, has to walk with a cane, and is severely overweight (like 340 lbs.). 

And yes, when she was much younger she used to throw some pretty serious fits. She was frustrated trying to make herself understood, and angry about people's (school kids' in particular) reactions to her and her difficulties.

But Joy's anger went inside - she has struggled for years with self-mutilation - ripping herself with her fingers rather than cutting, but still to the point where she has some scars for life.

She could have become someone like Adam Lanza quite easily.

But she's been on anti-depressants since high school (and I wish oh how I wish I had known what a difference it makes in her learning curve - I would have begun giving them to her as a child), and most of the time deals with it. She sees a counselor regularly, talks to me daily, and writes a lot in a journal when she gets mad.
I can't help but think, however - what if. that sort of help hadn't been available? What if I thought that anti-depressants were bad - she needed to muscle her way through?

And how many other people out there who are in desperate need of mental health treatment - and can't afford it, or don't know how to get it, or have been told that it won't help?

America, are you ready to face this, discuss it, and address it?

No comments: