Thursday, June 28, 2012

DO UNTO OTHERS....



Matthew 7:12:  Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.







I was driving to church this past Sunday morning when a completely different way of understanding this commandment popped into and rattled around my empty head.

(And no, not like that on the left)



I have always taken "the Golden Rule" as a basic polite/harmonious way to deal with other people - simply think about how do you want to be treated by other people, and so then treat them that same way.
But at this particular moment, an entirely new vision came bursting into my brain.

It's not when YOU do something with the idea that it should/will be reciprocated - "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" (or in the words of Sherlock, "I'll scratch your back and then disinfect").

No, it's when YOU are doing something simply because it is a good thing to be done.

If you wish more people who compliment you...
 
Then compliment more people.

If you wish people were friendlier...

then be friendlier.

If you would like more recognition...

then give recognition to others.
You might call it karma - actions which bring upon you inevitable results, both good and bad.
I think it's called Christ-like behavior.



No comments: