Sunday, December 22, 2013

LIVING LIKE A PIONEER

When someone mentions "pioneers", I think of wagon trains going across the Midwest and the Rocky Mountains.

I think of women in sun-bleached calico dresses, hanging their wash up. 

Children with slightly dirty faces and chubby fists fishing in the stream. 

Hard, quiet men and women planting their crops and silently praying for the necessary sun and rain for them to grow.



What I haven't thought about in the past is long, long winter nights.

Where the sun sets around 5 p.m., and total darkness settles in before 6 p.m.

Nights where you have one or two candles to prepare dinner by - do any reading or studying by.

And a limited amount of candles for the winter.

Also the cold.

Heat being restricted to a fireplace or oven.

Staying huddled up in beds, sharing your blankets with siblings and spouses for communal heat.






Our furnace stopped working this past week.

And although, praise God, our electricity continues to come steadily through, it's been getting done in the mid 30's every night.

It's cold in here.

And I can't imagine how bored out of my mind I would be if the power quit - and I had no computer, no internet access, no DVD, no music, no light to read by.

I think I appreciate the pioneers in this country just a little bit more now. 

No comments: