Tuesday, July 10, 2012

BEAUTY MAY ONLY BE SKIN-DEEP...

I am not beautiful.

And I'm okay with that.

Number one, because I don't have a whole lot of choice in the matter without massive surgery.

Number two, I've been fortunate enough to know a few "beautiful" people.

It's like everyone loves the concept of winning the lottery, becoming a millionaire.

Until they become that millionaire.

I worked with a woman who was downright BEEEEAUTIFUL.

Perfect figure, green eyes, blonde hair, exact proportions, great choice in clothing and all that, a lovely voice, a simply wonderful personality in addition to intelligence and sheer savvy.

And she hated it.

Karyn would walk in a room, and she said that "immediately all the women in the room hate me, and all the men are in love with me. Before they have any chance at all to know who I actually AM."

She was frustrated by people assuming she had somehow gotten her college degree by her beauty or sleeping with the professors. Her job placement by the simple fact that she had a male boss. And any outstanding job performance was slighted by a "well, of COURSE it's easy for HER."

I sort of loved the fact that she was married to a really ugly Marine - a sweetheart of a guy, of course, but NOT good-looking.

And I try to remember this when I pass by a mirror unexpectedly and catch a glimpse of my plastered hair, rumpled t-shirt, dirty jeans and complete lack of make-up or even any semblance of color coordination.

(And I can't sing like this very talented lady, but I can SOO relate to the way she looked in this first appearance on "America's Got Talent")

No comments: