Wednesday, April 9, 2014

QUID PRO QUO

Directly from WikipediaQuid pro quo ("something for something" in Latin) means an exchange of goods or services, where one transfer is contingent upon the other. English speakers often use the term to mean "a favour for a favour"; phrases with similar meaning include: "give and take", "tit for tat", and "you scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours."

I'm trying to move beyond this. 

One of the best definitions I have ever heard of pure love is doing something for someone when there is absolutely chance that they can ever repay you.

I'm not even close to that.

I especially have difficulty with one family member - and it may be particularly because he IS a family member that I expect more.

And I don't think I'm demanding a lot - I simply am asking for some social niceties - like a simple "thank you," perhaps even an occasional "please."

And am simply not getting a lot of them.

However, I am morally obligated by my OWN standards to NOT expect such behavior, or allow such behavior (or lack-thereof) to change what I believe is the correct thing(s) to do.

So suck it up, Hope, and do the right thing simply because it's the right thing to do.  

No comments: