Saturday, July 27, 2013

A MORMON AND A JEHOVAH'S WITNESS WALK INTO A BAR...

I don't have any trouble talking to strangers.

As anyone in my family can tell you, I can strike up a conversation with almost anyone about almost anything in almost any place.

So things like "cold calls" or knocking on strange doors hold no fear for me.

But today I was placed in an unusual chronological circumstance.

I had volunteered to go to around twelve close neighbors (close geographically, not necessarily friendship-wise) to drum up support for a road-paving proposition - knocking on the door, explaining what the project was and why/how we should support it, and get their signature on the form.

But guess what.

I was obviously following a group of Jehovah's Witnesses, judging from the small pamphlet inviting people to attend a three-day conference entitled "God's Word Is Truth" (side bar here - how do they expect people to attend three days worth of church - people are upset that us Mormons meet for a three HOUR block each Sunday).

So people obviously were already primed to NOT answer their front doors.

I'm going to try again tomorrow.

No comments: