Saturday, June 15, 2013

STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW


I get impatient when I hear people bringing up the "sanctity of marriage" whenever gay rights is discussed (discussed is a much more polite term for some of the yelling and screaming which is actually what can occur. isn't it?).

Does a gay couple having the right to be wed somehow affect the 50% divorce rate of regular hetrosexual marriages?

With the great majority of people having sex before and outside of marriage, who is keeping track of how many of them just might be of the same sex? 

I believe in marriage -- and the old-fashioned no-sex outside of marriage, till-death-do-us-part deal -- and I even believe in the one man, one woman bit.
But allowing a homosexual couple to be legally bound, to have the same spousal rights as I have, doesn't threaten my marriage.

If the sanctity of marriage is your beef, then please, before you jump on gays trying to get married, work on troubled marriages - consider spousal abuse - address abused children.  Worry about the couples who get hitched for 48 hours and then get divorced. Talk about people who are married 3, 4, 7 times.

While my definition of sleeping together generally means the cat and two dogs are on my bed, I can accept that with most of American society, that means having sex. And going steady means having sex. Heck, even dating means having sex.

Can anyone consider that THIS is affecting marriage, or what we define as marriage, so much more than gay marriage?

This is more than a little bit babbling, but I hope you are seeing my point.



No comments: