Thursday, June 27, 2013

CELLULITE ON A CHILD?

I don't watch Toddlers and Tiaras, I've just heard about the show.

I know there are child beauty displays - I even have a friend whose girls compete in the local Cinderella pageant.

I am equally horrified by each.

Judging ANYone by their physical appearance runs counter to every standard I believe in.

I honestly think we should love ugly creations as well as physically beautiful ones.

(And yes, I think this is all heavily influenced by the fact that I personally am not anywhere close to being considered beautiful - perhaps not ugly, but plain at the very best).

And I believe that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should young critters be told/labeled/called ANYTHING regarding their proposed/imagined/societal gradings.

Four year old girls then begin dieting - and exercising.

This all began from an appalling observation about my six-year old granddaughter; my super skinny, extremely physically active and healthy-eating 6 YEARS OLD grandbaby.

That she had CELLULITE on the back of her legs and LOVE HANDLES.

Please, please don't begin a child on a life of anorexia, body hatred and unrealistic concepts of beauty.

No comments: