Wednesday, June 19, 2013

ACHIEVING ZEN WHILE SWEATING

I got into running while living in Hawaii.

Some friends at work challenged me to run in the annual Great Aloha Run with them.

My first experience of trying to run a mile-loop around Ala Moana Park was laughable; but my jogging buddies kept encouraging me, and I finally got so I could put a few miles down at one time.

Our race time was never anything to brag about except to each other, but simply running 8.25 miles in one stretch was an incredible accomplishment for all three of us.

And I continued running in between our annual group run, getting up to an average of 4 miles a couple of evenings a week.

(And yes, my children were young - I found a mile loop on a military base where I could see them the entire time I was running).


But now I'm back to simply walking on the treadmill at the gym again.

And I am not achieving the Zen-like state that I used to reach fairly easily in my younger years.

Is it because I am only walking?

Is it because I am older (like almost 20 years older)?

Or is it simply not having the clear Hawaiian skies to run under?

No comments: