Tuesday, October 16, 2012

DISNEYLAND PERSONALITY

I don't always assume the best when I see people.

I've lived with someone who looks at life from a terrorist point-of-view for over thirty years now, so I think I've heard about all possible negative aspects of life.

And although I am still an optimist in many ways, I have seen parents do incredibly horrific things to their children.

So when I see someone berating a child, I can't help but think, "If they are doing this where everyone can see, how much more do they do when at home and in private?"

And I fear for the child.

But last week at Disneyland, I saw remarkably few upset parents, and only a sprinkling of any discipline problems.

And since there are few more public places than an amusement park, I wondered a bit if it might be the reason.

However, I observed something far worse than over-disciplining a child.

Total and complete neglect.

A toddler was making his energetic way into the crowd, and I looked to make certain there was some exasperated parent charging up, following his path.

And there wasn't.

A thousand scenarios raced through my mind - none of them good ones - and I turned to follow the little one myself to make certain he was safe.

And then I finally heard a bored female voice: "Hey, get over here."

I turned to face a woman with an empty stroller who was leisurely coming through the crowd, but obviously could not see the child.

Now, I'll admit I might be an overprotective parent. I still wish my kids as adults had to hold my hand while crossing a street. I simply don't let my grandchildren out of my sight when we are anywhere in public. I might appear as some sort of pervert as I hover outside the public restroom stall door waiting for them.

But I think almost anyone, when taking a small child to a place that daily averages 40,000 people in the park, would at least consider a harness.







Disneyland does have a sterling reputation for getting lost children safely back to their parents - look at http://www.mouseplanet.com/akrock/akrock7.htm for more details, if you are interested.

And Harmony, just for you, see http://www.mouseplanet.com/potties/ ;-)

No comments: