Thursday, October 11, 2012

DAMNED VS BEING DAMMED

The expression of "Not taking the Lord's name in vain" confuses me sometimes. Most of the time when I exclaim "GOD!" I really am talking to him in a "Oh, God, tell me why this is happening to me right now!" way.

(And I sort of love that even non-religious folks will exclaim His name sort of automatically when in a life-threatening situation)

But I do understand why we shouldn't be saying "God damn it!" - we're sort of trying to re-direct God's displeasure towards something that we silly mortals are upset about.

But after (ahem) using that actual expression the other day, I got thinking about it.

And instead of "God damn it," what if we were actually saying "God DAM it", using dam as in a dam blocking a river's flow?

So instead of trying to invoke God's anger, we were asking God to STOP all the blessings going to this person/situation/political situation?

Somehow to me this expands this "curse" into an actual CURSE.

We are dependent upon God for our lives - our frail human bodies - some sort of direction in this chaotic interaction we call our lives.

Stop that? Gosh, no, that takes almost everything meaningful out of human life.

Guess this will help me from stop using that expression.

At least I hope so, damnit.

No comments: