Thursday, August 4, 2011

THE MAN IN THE MIRROR

I don't think of myself as tall - I'm the shortest person in my family at 5'9".

But when I'm standing next to someone who is 5'2"... well, yeah, I guess I am.


And I certainly don’t consider myself wealthy - although I must admit now that I have custody of eight horses, I am much more careful of how I speak of them, so as not to come off showy and pretentious.

A friend posted an email the other day about how the "disgustingly" wealthy flaunt it in such ostentation and vulgar houses, with the very specific criticism of "if they have so much money, why don't they help the poor and needy with it instead of splurging it on unnecessary luxury?!"

I did get all up-in-arms about an internet post about Derek Jeter’s “elaborate” new house in Florida. Derek grew up in Kalamazoo Michigan two doors down from my dad’s in a solid middle-class neighborhood. And I know he has worked very very hard to get where he is - why shouldn’t he enjoy it?

And it made me stop and think for a minute about my own affluence.

I live on eight acres - with for a city kid from Los Angeles, is a HUGE expanse of land, and I would guess also for any kid from a slum.

I live in a home with four bedrooms and three baths. That would be pretty amazing to a family of six living in a tin shack.


I have clean, safe water at my disposal from the inside my house. Think of how many miles some people must walk each and every day to bring water back to their home to prepare food, wash clothes, and drink.








I have air conditioning in the summer, and I have heat in the winter. I can wear pretty much the same clothing year round while sitting at my computer or watching NetFlix.


Yeah, I guess I am also one of those disgustingly rich people who flaunt it.

No comments: