Monday, September 24, 2012

CLEARING THE MIND

A lesson at church yesterday focused on how we get caught up in the rush of modern-life and daily stress, and forget the essential elements of salvation in the crunch of myriad mundane elements (wow - that sounds exactly like my cereal before the milk sogginess sets in, doesn't it?).


Anyway, the main concept seemed to be on changing our focus from the temporary irritations to a more eternal perspective, and opening ourselves to the spirit's influence instead of the shouting of the material world.



It's called meditation, and yet I hesitated and did not make any comment about this in the class.

Meditation, although mentioned frequently by the prophets and scriptures, seems to carry a whiff of incense, Hari-Krishna (sp?) white robes and mindless chanting of mantras.... at least to Latter-Day Saints in the Rocky Mountains.

Scented candles, darkened rooms, yoga mats... somehow these translate into dark and mysterious hints of evil.

I'm not anywhere close to where I would like to be with my meditation habits - it happens infrequently, at odd times and places.

But when I do take that single deep breath, when I do disengage my thoughts from the insane whirlpool of ever-deepening worries, fears and mundane cares - then almost immediately I can feel my chest loosen, my nasal cavities open, and the light begin to clear my brain.


And I recognize very clearly that God has a different plan for me.

No comments: