Thursday, April 10, 2008

In the 60's. I hated the television show "All In The Family." I mean, it was humorous and well-written - it had Rob Reiner when he had hair, and Jean Stapleton when she played stupid - it won a lot of awards and was on the air a long time.


But to me, it wasn't funny because I knew an 'Archie Bunker' in real life. In fact, I was related to him. A slightly dim, uneducated bigot. So it brought the situational comedy just a bit too close to home.


Tonight's "The Office", although it is still my favorite show, and Jim rocks (I even am going to see "Leatherheads" tomorrow, and am hoping that John Krasinski still plays a cutie there also), it was one that, after returning today from another (number ten? eleven?) marital counseling session, hit a little too close to home.


It'll be thirty years next month, but there are still way too many 'normal' subjects that simply cannot be discussed.

No comments: