Saturday, January 10, 2015

ALL RELIGIONS OR JUST YOURS?

I have friends who are rather conservative politically 

And these aren't just Facebook "friends" - although most of the things I am responding to here are from Facebook postings - these are actual people who I know from church, I know from my rural community.

We just don't talk politics. 

But BOTH of them "liked" the following post:


"Right Wing News has no problems taking shots at radical Islam, but we don't normally run anti-Islamic images. Islam may be a false religion and Muhammad may not have been a good guy, but we do believe in showing a modicum of respect to people of different faiths. However tonight, after the Charlie Hebdo killings, we are going to make fun of Islam and Muhammad because we refuse to allow murderous fanatics to determine what we are and are not allowed to say in a free country. We think that everyone who cares about free speech should do the same thing." -- John Hawkins, Right Wing News, ‪#‎Nightofa1000AntiIslamCartoons‬


Sigh.

I don't consider myself a crazy liberal.

But I do consider myself a Christian.

Probably not the best Christian, but a Christian.

And the commandment "Love thy neighbor" must mean something different to me than those people I call friends.

Look, I'm not Muslim.

And I'm not excusing the horrible massacre done in France by people claiming to be Muslim.

But I know how upset I would be to see cartoons that showed Jesus Christ, who I consider my Savior and my Elder Brother, in, let us say, compromising positions with innocent people.

So I can understand how people who accept the Prophet Muhammad  would be upset about rude cartoons.

Not enough to justify murder, no, never.

But please, when Christians are using the behavior of a few loose-canons from Islam to act in the most un-Christ-like way....

Does anyone else have a problem with this?




No comments: