Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I'M STILL STANDING

Do you sometimes feel like you are fighting against yourself?

The technical term currently is Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) (used to be multiple personalities), which involve "two or more separate and distinct personality states (or identities) (which) control the individual's behavior at different times."

All of us can relate to this, right? I mean, how many of us on the very same day that we pledge to lose that final 5/10/25/100 pounds also pounced on the container of Ben & Jerry's Mint Chocolate Chunk in the big freezer and devoured every last spoonful?

Don't we faithfully plan our trip to the gym - pack our bags and our shoes - and still stop at Sonic and instead of the appropriate small cherry-limeade (only 170 calories) we somehow order the large Oreo Sonic Blast (only 1,020 calories.... and 490 of those fat calories)

We plan on conquering all the Great Books as one of our New Years Resolutions... but then after actually printing the list out, and going through it, with okay, Homer… yeah, but not Simpson… History of Rome… wasn’t that made into a movie with Angie Dickinson?… and Machiavelli - that’s about the Prince of Persia, right? With Jake Gyllenhaal, right? A hot actor with even more difficult last name than my own?

Well, you get the picture, right?

So today, I have decided that instead of fighting my other, my 'dark' side, I would embrace it - and include it.

When I have that irresistible urge for B&J's hit me, I'll go right ahead and eat it.

Without guilt. Without shame. Without apology.

However, I am also going to walk the dogs an extra time. Not out of culpability. Without ignominy. But because I can.

When the Oreo Sonic slips down my throat, it is going to be thoroughly enjoyed, relished, and appreciated.
But I will work one more horse for at least thirty minutes.

I'm not going to fight it.

I am going to embrace it.

No comments: