Saturday, April 28, 2012

YOU LIKE HORSES, YOU SAY

This post will make sense to horse people.

But not the "oh yes I love horses" people.

Not the "gosh I like riding" and "a mad gallop is the most fun" and "when can we go riding on your horses?"

I'm talking about and to the mucking out, detangling, curry-combing, hoof-picking, fly-spraying crowd.

Those of us who feed twice a day. Who clean out and bleach water troughs, who lug heavy salt blocks on to pasture. Who clean brushes and saddles and ropes. Who sit up nights waiting for a foaling mare, or walking a colicky gelding.

Yeah, horse people.

So -  when a "oh yes I love horses" person wants to come over and go galloping off on one of your horses, are you as mean as I am?

Because I always tell them, "Sure! Come on over!" and THEN watch as they struggle through grooming, saddling and then finally GIVE UP when they have to clean out the hooves.

I must admit it is a great deal of fun.

And my horses never get one of them on their backs

No comments: