Saturday, October 29, 2011

SLEEPING ON A RAILING

I have used sleeping medications ever since a hysterectomy  removed my ability to sleep longer than 2-3 hours at a time as well as my uterus.

But recently I went cold turkey to see if I could find rest on my own.

I am currently in the ideal situation for this - I live alone, with two dogs who are house-broken enough to make it through the night (with Cissy only leaving occasional offerings in the living room) - I do not have scheduled work hours - and the Internet is always working at 3 a.m.

I live in a rural area, with my nearest neighbor several acres away - and I have black-out curtains in my bedroom.

Surprisingly, it only took a few nights to settle into a routine.

I do need to go to bed right when I feel sleepy, even if it is unfashionably early, such as 8 p.m. (thank goodness for the DVR that can still record The Walking Dead, Castle, and Jon Stewart).

When I get up to pee around 2 a.m., I must go right back to bed.

And I must get right up when the dogs begin nosing around right before daybreak and take them on a longer-than-usual walk.

With my two daytime naps, I am getting MORE sleep than I was on the medication.

Pretty nifty, eh?







And the nicest thing about all of this - waking up alert and fairly cheerful.

But still - let's go take a nap right now, okay?

No comments: