Monday, March 1, 2010

BEING WRONG... AGAIN

After years of living with an antisocial, ungregarious and oft times socialpathically unbalanced spouse, I have gotten out of the habit of attending less-than-mandatory-but-you're-gonna-feel-guilty-if-you-weren't-there gatherings.

Tonight was one of those meetings.

I had already driven 18.76 miles to and from our church today. I had been in my warmest pajamas and favorite bunny slippers since I had come home. The sky was serious in its threat of snow at 4,986 feet, not just on the mountains, promising slick conditions and (of even more of a deterrent) the prospect of meeting on a narrow, two-line highway with a speed limit of 65 mph retired Southern Californians who congregate in my area of southern Arizona and have never driven in anything worse than a prolonged sprinkle.

(NOTE: I make this statement as a past Southern Californian who until the age of 19 had never driven in anything worse than a prolonged sprinkle)

I wanted to stay home.

I was extremely pessimistic about this particular meeting. We as youth leaders had already been promised an unreasonable amount of additional work in coordinating this temple dedication cultural events practice times, costume construction, and song and dance instruction. In addition, this event and a great number of the rehearsals would be taking place a TWO HOUR DRIVE north of us. So transportation of our significant number of teenagers would be four hours in addition to however long practice time might be.

I just couldn't see our particular group of teenagers showing any enthusiasm for this. We have a fair share which hold jobs, are involved in multiple school and non-scholastic groups, have homework, family chores, and require internet and 'down' time... and hey, so do I.

But I was wrong.
At the prospect of being FILMED, broadcast to every single stake center in the United States, and doing dance moves similar to step competition (at least I think that's what it is called - listen, I'm an old lady, I still do the chicken dance), and practicing with a significant number of young persons of the opposite sex.... WOW! Let's DO it!

I in particular must acknowledge a Bro. Lunt, a balding, older man who did an INCREDIBLE job of psyching this kids up. My hat is off to you, young man - you did it.


These kids are ready... and so am I.

No comments: